Thursday, November 27, 2014

National Adoption Day

November 22, 2014


Last Saturday was National Adoption Day. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I knew November is National Adoption Month, but I didn't realize there was a specific day to celebrate adoption. I think that's wonderful. I think about adoption EVERY day. I think about our boy and wonder what he's doing. I think about where we are with our paperwork and what's next on my list of things I'm supposed to be working on or sending for. We have made considerable progress since April with all of the particulars. Birth certificates, marriage certificate, passports, background checks and medical appointments and lots of other paperwork....that's all done or will be this week. We had our adoption training this summer where we had to attend adoption classes at our agency for a day and then later finish other online training classes throughout the summer. And we received our preapproval from China on June 19th for this particular boy to be ours. (Yay!!) Our home study is nearly complete except for our home visit where our social worker visits our home (for about four hours...yikes!) to interview us and the kids and to see what kind of environment our new son will be living in. That's the week after Thanksgiving. I'm excited (and a little nervous), but when that's done, she will write up her report and then our homestudy will be complete. Then our whole file can be verified with the Secretary of State where we live and then translated and authenticated with the Chinese Embassy and then it's sent to China! So that's what we are working towards to wrap up in December....the sending off of our file (dossier) to be verified and authenticated. And then we wait....for China to get everything in their system and send us our "official referral". Once we have that, I can post pictures of our boy and send him things. Our agency doesn't allow us to do that until we receive the official referral which means they have approved our file, and we can adopt this boy and move toward having a travel date.